Cenovus Energy 4th Class Power Engineering Award - Mentor
Nominations for 2017 are now open. Winners will be announced May 2017.
If your mentor achieves excellence in their work in power engineering, please consider nominating him or her for this award.
Please note: If you would like to nominate an intern in addition to a mentor, you must complete the “The Cenovus Energy Award of Excellence in 4th Class Power Engineering – Student Nomination Package”. Nominating both a mentor and an intern is not necessary.
Mentor Selection Criteria
Mentor in Power Engineering Selection Criteria:
- Currently employed as a certified Power Engineer and mentoring a high school intern student in the CAREERS: The Next Generation 4th Class Power Engineering program
- Key attributes of an outstanding mentor include:
- Champion– acting as an ally to share stories of success about the CAREERS 4th Class Power Engineering program
- Guide and coach– a professional role model who is approachable and able to communicate knowledge and realistic expectations in the development of employability skills.
- Supervisor– genuinely interested in the student and is involved in their activities while creating confidence and trust moving towards gradual independence and self-motivation.
- Safety Advisor– is a role model for safe work practices, respects and complies with safety guidelines, conducts safety meetings, and has achieved appropriate safety training credentials.
- Assessor– provides regular feedback in the development of skill standards and achieving desired learning outcomes.
- Received comments that illustrate how the attributes of the mentor positively impact and/or benefit the organization and/or the power engineering student intern.
- Nominator must obtain the consent of the nominee prior to submission.
To submit an eligible nomination, you must provide all of the following information. You may print or type your answers on a separate document and include this in your nomination package.
- Complete the nomination and consent form
- Provide a letter of support written by yourself (the nominator) – Page 5
- Provide one (1) additional letter of support by another individual (Student/Parent, School Administrator, Employer etc.)
A three-person external selection committee will be appointed by CAREERS to review applications and recommend two (2) student and two (2) mentor recipients - two Northern Alberta (including Red Deer) and two Southern Alberta
Questions or Comments
CAREERS: The Next Generation Head Office
#204, 10470 – 176 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5S 1L3 Phone: 780-426-3414
Toll free: 1-888-757-7172 www.nextgen.org