The CAREERS: The Next Generation Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades - MENTOR NOMINATION
Nominations for 2018 are now closed.
The CAREERS: The Next Generation Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades recognizes the outstanding mentors and promising student apprentices who are contributing value to Alberta's designated trades.
Two students and one mentor will be selected from Northern and Southern Alberta respectively, for a total of six awards. If your mentor achieves excellence in their work in the trades, please consider nominating him or her for this award.
Please note: If you would like to nominate a student apprentice in addition to a mentor, you must complete the “Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades – Student Nomination Package”. Nominating both a mentor and an apprentice is not necessary.
Complete the Online Nomination Form - MENTOR
Mentor in Skilled Trades Selection Criteria:
- Journey certified in a provincially recognized skilled trade, currently employed in a business employing trades people, and are currently/or have mentored in the past school year a CAREERS RAP
- Knowledgeable & enthusiastic about their role as a mentor
- Key attributes of an outstanding mentor include:
- Champion – acting as an ally to share stories of success about RAP
- Guide and teacher – a professional role model who is approachable and able to communicate knowledge and realistic expectations in the development of employability
- Supervisor – genuinely interested in the student and is involved in their activities while creating confidence and trust moving towards gradual independence and self-
- Assessor – provides regular feedback in the development of skill standards and achieving desired learning
- Safety Advisor – is a role model for safe work practices, respects and complies with safety guidelines, conducts safety meetings, and has achieved appropriate safety training
- Received comments that illustrate how the attributes of the mentor positively impact and/or benefit the organization and/or the RAP student.
- Nominator must obtain the consent of the nominee prior to submission
To submit an eligible nomination, you must provide all of the following information. You may print or type your answers on a separate document and include this in your nomination package.
- Complete the nomination and consent form
- Provide a letter of support written by yourself (the nominator) – Page 5
- Provide one (1) additional letter of support by another individual (Student/Parent, School Administrator, Employer, )
A three-person external selection committee will be appointed by CAREERS to review applications and recommend six (6) recipients - three Northern Alberta (including Red Deer) and three from Southern Alberta.
Questions or Comments
CAREERS: The Next Generation Head Office
#204, 10470 – 176 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5S 1L3 Phone: 780-426-3414
Toll free: 1-888-757-7172 www.nextgen.org