The CAREERS: The Next Generation Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades - STUDENT NOMINATION
Nominations for 2018 are now closed.
The CAREERS: The Next Generation Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades recognizes the outstanding mentors and promising student apprentices who are contributing value to Alberta's designated trades.
Thanks to the generosity of the Calgary Regional Safety Committee, four scholarships will be provided to students in 2017. Two students and one mentor will be selected from Northern and Southern Alberta respectively, for a total of six awards. The student apprentices receiving this award are also eligible for a $200 scholarship*.
*Student recipients must be able to provide proof of registration in an approved post secondary training program leading to certification in a recognized trade, in order to receive the scholarship funds. If your student achieves excellence in their work in the trades, please consider nominating him or her for this award.
Please note: If you would like to nominate a mentor in addition to an apprentice, you must complete the “Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades – Mentor Nomination Package”. Nominating both a mentor and an
apprentice is not necessary.
Complete the Online Nomination Form - STUDENT
Student in Skilled Trades Selection Criteria
- Student is currently participating in RAP
- Key attributes of an outstanding student include:
- Enthusiasm– acts as an organized, responsible, and energetic team player willing to commit to the tasks and activities related to the internship role.
- Professionalism–demonstrates employability skills that reflected the work environment in terms of cooperativeness, initiative, and reliability.
- Active learner– listens attentively to direction, following instructions to and completing tasks assigned by their supervisors, to enhance workplace skills.
- Engaged– incorporates the learning outcomes of the internship to help define their individual career pathway.
- Safety -serves as a safe role model in work surroundings, demonstrates respect for and complies with safety guidelines, attends to safety meetings and respects hazard materials/equipment, and has achieved minimum safety training credentials (i.e. First Aide, WHMIS, or Fall Arrest).
- Employability Skills Demonstration– demonstrates increased awareness and application of the Conference Board of Canada’s Employability Skills profile of foundational skills, personal management skills, and team skills required to be an effective trades person.
- Received comments that illustrate how the attributes of the RAP apprentice impacted and/or benefited the organization and/or speak to the goals of RAP.
- Nominator must obtain the consent of the nominee prior to submission.
To submit an eligible nomination, you must provide all of the following information.
- Complete the nomination and consent form
- Provide a letter of support written by yourself (the nominator) – Commentary
- Provide one (1) additional letter of support by another individual (Student/Parent, School Administrator, Employer, etc.)
A three-person external selection committee will be appointed by CAREERS to review applications and recommend two (2) recipients - one Northern Alberta (including Red Deer) and one Southern Alberta
Questions or Comments
CAREERS: The Next Generation Head Office
#204, 10470 – 176 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5S 1L3 Phone: 780-426-3414
Toll free: 1-888-757-7172 www.nextgen.org